1. People getting my name wrong: Mario Evon…It’s not that hard. It’s my 1st and middle name. No I didn’t forget the ‘s’ (Evons) or the ‘a’ (Evan) or the ‘a’ and the ‘s’ (Evans). If you actually read my email address, my website, hmmm and all of my social media, then you would have recognized that. Read, READ, READ DAMMIT!
2. Unprofessionalism: Yes I expect you to be on time. 15 minutes grace period is allowable. Yes if you want me for something I expect YOU to call ME. Don’t ask me to call you back…Yes my phone is prepaid, but the principle is that you need me. Communicate dammit! If you’re gonna be late, text me, call me…Just do something. I have a life and it is not being held ransom to yours.
3. Liars: If you can’t tell the truth then just don’t talk to me. The end.
4. Weight Gain: So you are telling me I have to work out all the time and eat clean…OK. I heard you, and can you stop head to toeing me cuz I said I go to the gym. No I don’t look like that Panda dude but I can out-cardio you and I’ll bet on it.
5. Being an adult: Oh another bill? Ah car insurance. Health insurance? Check. Oh so I need critical illness you think? Cuz I’m old right? So I could have a heart attack. Oh yes leaking roof. Oh you said the quote to fix that was J$300K…Thanks, but no thanks.
I’m Reggae-Soul Singer/Songwriter, Mario Evon, the eternal optimist, but today I smile through my eternal flat face…#OverIt.
I can’t remember having a clear concept of what adulthood would be like. I was told “It gets better.”, but I for sure now know that it doesn’t get easier. There are some very special moments in my life I would give money and a time machine to go back to, and others I would avoid like the plague, but one thing I know is that this adult life is real.
Finding a balance between being careful yet open, optimistic but not jaded, a dreamer yet practical. This definitely isn’t easy. Most kids don’t have to think about anything but eating, sleeping and playing, and I guess that’s just how it is by divine creation. I on the other hand have leaks in my roof and a fridge that lightening decided to malice and take out. My roof leaks in the best of locations like over my bed and in my small office workspace. My fridge now is about room temperature and I’ve had to toss a few things that I like, but hey, they say “That’s life”.
Outside of the weird and random things that happen, then you actually have to navigate people and their lives and desires. Their feelings, opinions and other thoughts. Here I thought I could hide in my house or in some secluded cave. I have to be a family member, a friend and a responsible person with ambitious desires. I think finding a simple, easily-pleased rich woman would have been an easier way out.
But you aren’t to complain because what you have is way more than what others have. Seems like there is no winning, cause that may also be true.
So at the end of the day the reality of it all, is that we need to be become filthy rich…nah, I’m kidding. We need to take life one day at a time, because no matter what curve balls it throws us, we can only do as much as we can in the moment. This current moment. It’s all we have. So take a deep breath and do all you can. It’s all you can do.